border
DSC_0005
Hey, i'm Sybil Mae and Porridge n Pickles is my own personal blog filled with everyday life, laughter and love. Welcome!
border
border

Translate

border
bloglovin2013
weheartit2013
tumblr2013
flickr2013
pinterest132
border

Instagram

border

Friends

border


19/04/2013

REVIEW - Nikon 35mm AF-S f/1.8 G DX

DSC_0021

Make: Nikon
Name: 35mm AF-S f/1.8 G DX
Filter Size: 52mm
Cost new: £150.00 (here)

I brought this lens with the idea of it being my go to lens as well as (or an alternative to) the 18 - 55mm standard lens that the Nikon D5100 comes with. I read countless reviews and looked at many pictures before I made this purchase. I also looked at brand new cost and second hand cost. I was lucky enough to find a second hand mint condition example on that specific auction site that I wont mention by name... wink, wink, nudge, nudge. I ended up making a £36 save which I can't say is to bad now that i've seen that the lens really is in mint condition! I considered buying the 35mm f/1.8's bigger brother, the f/1.4 but the price difference kind of made that decision for me! I have to say though, that I don't regret going for the f/1.8. It carries out the job that I want it to do perfectly! It works well in all conditions and produces pictures that are just so crisp. Many people have described the bokeh produced by this lens as rather ugly, caused by how crisp the lens actually is. I'm not sure whether I totally agree with this or not; I don't really find anything to be hideous about the bokeh produced by this lens, but I guess that is dependent on taste so check the images bellow to make your own judgement!

Would I recommend this lens?
Yes! It is brilliant, I really do love it.
Would I recommend this lens over the 50mm?
I guess that is all dependent on where you take most of your pictures and what you like to frame. Many people have said that there isn't much point investing in both lenses. However, I did and i've found that for me I made the right decision because they both have there strengths and weaknesses focal length wise.
For all the fancy twiddly information, please check the lens spec here.

Check out these:

  • Here is a review that I really did like. It is between the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 but they do talk about all the good bits (as well as some bad bits) about this brilliant lens!
  • Here is a basic look at a few f/stops. 
  • Here is a link showing an example of the bokeh produced at f/1.8.
  • Here is where you can find all the images that i've taken and posted on the blog using this lens.