border
DSC_0005
Hey, i'm Sybil Mae and Porridge n Pickles is my own personal blog filled with everyday life, laughter and love. Welcome!
border
border

Translate

border
bloglovin2013
weheartit2013
tumblr2013
flickr2013
pinterest132
border

Instagram

border

Friends

border


24/12/2012

MY HOBBY

So today I thought i'd talk to you all about my hobby which is, pin trading/collecting. I know it sounds really quite dorky and that is why I never really tell anybody apart from those who do it themselves ;) Truth be told though, I really do enjoy it :) Pin trading, is actually the trading and collecting of Disney pins. For those of you who have been to a disney park you will know what I mean i'm sure of it! I started collecting back when I was about 9 years old, the last time I went to a disney park actually and I still have those pins now! However since then, my collection has grown quite a lot (not as much as some peoples though!). It is an expensive and some times cut-throat hobby. When I first started out, I feel it was defiantly more one for the kids with the trading of pins before they gained this 'perceived pin value'. Now a days pin trading can be sometimes difficult; after a pin is sold it loses it's 'sale value' and gains what i'm going to call a 'perceived value' based on how desirable a character and/or scene is. For example, the pins based upon the movie Tangled and it's characters sell for 5x their original sale price sometimes even more(!) whereas pins based on the fab5 lose value instantly because they aren't as desirable character wise. When making a trade the two pins involved must be of the same 'perceived value' for it to be considered a 'fair trade'. If they aren't and the trade is considered to be lopsided by either party things can get a little hairy... See, it's a little complicated, I don't even truly get 'perceived value' now! That is why I stick to pin collecting more than trading. I mostly buy pins in order to complete collections or because I simply like the look of them. I love it. I do trade from time to time but it is defiantly something that is much easier to do in person. I have met some really nice people during my time both collecting and trading which makes it much more enjoyable. There are many websites out there where you can find other collectors and traders who can help you out! For more information visit either Pinpics or The Disney Pin Forum! Here are some examples of my little collection...

pt1
pt2
pt3
pt4
pt5
pt6

These are some of my favourites :) The 12 days of christmas was a set brought for me a couple of christmases ago and the framed Belle is my favourite one of all time. I also had the Aurora from this set but I traded her away so that somebody else could complete their set :) I do miss her though... The pins with the little picture in the middle are from the first Piece of Disney Movie collection (there are 3 more to this set but I store them on a separate piece of plastic thingy maboby. Finally pictured is my pin bag where I store a few traders and some uncompleted sets. The cinderella pin is from a Reveal Conceal girls set, I love it! I also have Snow White from this set but she's on a different page :) I don't really feel i've sold this hobby option to you as much as I could have BUT I have told you as it is, no fluffy bits ;)

What do you enjoy as a hobby? :)

p.s - I'd like to wish you all a very merry christmas and a happy new year! Hope you all have a fabulous christmas with your family and friends and I shall 'see' you all in the new year! May 2013 bring you all everything you hope it will :)